We too are traveling in foreign lands, and have had to cross some open water, to arrive in Portland, Maine, and spend a couple days with the G-Men. However, instead of reporting on the local customs and mores, I'll report on our usual interests: drinking and dining. Last night, we went to Vignola, in Portland's Old Port, and have only rave reviews of the experience. First, a few minutes at the bar, highlighted by Susan's Pimm's Cup. Vignola varies the traditional recipe through the use of Canton Ginger Liqueur, which gives the cocktail a richer, sweeter character, and more distinctive ginger taste than it derives from the usual ginger ale topping. I was also impressed with the attention given by Vignola's bartender, whose name I regrettably did not obtain, both to his drinks and to the customers. I always think that an interesting and hospitable bar is the perfect entry point to great dining. Chuck and I drank the local brew, and his was most interesting: Allagash Curieux, a Belgian style ale, aged in Bourbon casks, and packing a punch at 11%.
Dinner's highlights included the duck liver pate on the charcuterie platter, and the rigatoni with Bolognese sauce. They were perfectly complimented with Ornellaia's Le Volte, a 'supertuscan' blend of sangiovese, merlot and cabernet. Ornellaia is one of the premier supertuscan producers, and their merlot based Masseto is considered one of the most luxurious Italian wines. Unfortunately, it's priced in the stratosphere and simply unavailable to the common folk, such as us, unless of course, we get invited to an Italian wine dinner featuring the wines from Z's cellar, but that is another story entirely, one that took up several postings on mannymontaigne last winter., in case anyone is interested. The good news is that Ornellaia makes a second label, one that is affordable, and retains a hint of the luxurious nature for which the winery became famous.
I'm not a lover of 100% sangiovese wines. I find chiantis, and even brunellos too austere for my taste. Admittedly, they are great food wines, as they compliment Italian cuisine so well. But for my palate, softening the sangiovese with some merlot, and then giving it more body with the cabernet, allows it to retain its complimentary characteristics, but makes it much more accessible and inviting. Besides which, it's just delicious, so who cares if it's not the traditional sangiovese wine from Tuscany? In fact, the success of the 'supertuscan' wines, the fact that everyone loved them, and was willing to pay huge prices for them, is what forced the Italian wine bureaucracy to create the IGT classification in the first place.
Anyway, for a great dining experience, try Vignola. And for a luscious, yet afforable Italian blend, try LeVolte. I'm confident that no one will be disappointed with either recommendation.
No comments:
Post a Comment